Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grandma's Marathon Weekend






We had a great weekend in Duluth for the Marathon! Aunt Deb rode up with us and we arrived in Duluth early on Friday afternoon to pick up our race packets and information. We checked out a few things at the expo and then we headed off to lunch at Grandma's Sports Garden. Deb, Deb, Noah and I chowed down on a pasta buffet - load up on the CARBS! Then it was off to the Edge and check into our rooms. We had an lake view room that was great! We could sit outside our room and watch the ships come and go from the port.
Mom, Jill, Taylor, and Jordan arrived around dinner time and we headed down to the waterpark. What a fun place. I did not participate in the fun - conserve energy : )
I did not sleep too well, nervous about the race. And I did not need the alarm clock to get up at 4:30 a.m. I met Deb for breakfast and then we headed out to catch the bus to the start in Two Harbors. While waiting in line for the bus, I saw two former PCHS students. The first bus quickly filled and we did not get on. One of the bus organizers then asked us if we would ride on the 'elite runners' bus! Sure beats the orange school bus ride. So Deb and I rode to the start with the Kenyans! We were quickly brought back to reality when we were instructed that 'those of you not at that elite level need to exit the bus right away when you reach the starting line, but you elite runners can stay warm on the bus.'
It was actually cold in Two Harbors, and Deb even dug out a pair of gloves. We ended up being quite far back in the chute - way behind the pace team we hoped to start near. I did not even hear the starting gun, but when we crossed the starting line, over 6 minutes had already passed! Deb got me off to a great pace and I felt really good until mile 12. I could feel my right leg tightening up, and by mile 14 I was cramping. I tried to stay with Deb, but had to fall behind a little past the 15 mile mark. I walked for about a half a mile, and slowly started up again. The cramping was gone (except for an occasional twinge when I would step wrong) and I was on my way again! I met up with one of the former students, Jason, at about mile 17, the other one Deb and I passed at mile 6. Jason and I ran together for about a mile and a half and then he fell behind - but we did see him at the end and he made it! Starting at mile 18, the fun begins. The crowds become larger and louder. All that cheering really does keep you going! The family was at mile 22 with their signs. How fun to see them after coming up Lemon Drop Hill!
I made it to the end and there was Deb! She was just over 10 minutes ahead of me. I could not believe my time 4:32! I hoped to be under 5 hours, but never expected to be that close to a 4 and a half hour marathon! Deb and I enjoyed a couple of beers along with some food. We experienced a few rain showers, which felt good since it was a warm day again this year!
We all headed down to Grandma's for dinner, and enjoyed the water park - this time I went in too!
Saturday night's sleep was about as poor as Friday nights. Not because of nerves - because of soreness! My ankle was swelling again - guess it did not heal all the way before the marathon. And my quads! Going up the steps - ok, going down the steps-OUCH! We did a little more swimming and then it was time to check out.
We stopped off at Wicktor's cabin on the way home for the beach party. Lydia and Jake went tubing behind the boat. They had a great time!
What a fun weekend!

No comments: